What Is Chiropractic and How Does It Work?
IN A NUTSHELL…
Chiropractic treatment is a non-invasive natural approach to health care that is based on the scientific fact that the body has the innate ability to heal itself and this ability depends greatly on a healthy spine and nervous system. Chiropractors correct areas of spinal stress, called subluxation, and can reduce pain (if present) as well as remove irritation to the nervous system to promote healing. There are many causes of spinal stress and this is often the root of many health problems – not just lower back pain and headaches! Chiropractic treatment is extremely safe and effective.
The Complete Picture…
- Pairs of nerve roots branch off the spinal cord from between each pair of vertebrae to service the organs and tissues of the body.
- Because these bones of the spine can move, improper motion or position can irritate the nerves and interfere with the function of the tissues they control.
- This is often accompanied by pain and is called a subluxation.
- All kinds of daily activities can cause the bones that cover your spinal cord and nervous system to lose their normal position and motion.
- Some examples are: birthing process (for both mom and baby), car accidents, stress, poor diet, prolonged sitting and driving, computer stations, etc.
- Without a normal nerve supply, affected organs and tissues are more susceptible to disease, often producing the symptoms of pain and ill health.
- Headaches and lower back pain are also very common signs of a nervous system interference.
- Chiropractors specialize in the detection, reduction, and prevention of nervous system interferences.
- After doing a complete examination that may include x-rays, the doctor will give you a complete explanation of findings and recommendations.
- A chiropractic treatment is called an adjustment.
- An adjustment is a carefully directed and controlled pressure that works to return proper motion to your spine and reduce the associated nerve interference.
- There are many ways to adjust the spine – it feels good and it is safe.
- In fact, chiropractic adjustments are safer than back surgery, muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatories, and even aspirin.
- People of all ages, from newborns to the elderly, can safely benefit from chiropractic care.
- Regardless of the type of doctor you consult, doctors don’t heal – only your body can heal itself.
- Chiropractic adjustments help to promote your natural ability to heal.
- Chiropractic makes sense – it’s scientific, safe, natural and most importantly – it works.